Thursday, May 24, 2012

College


As the year is coming to a close I’ve been looking back at my first year in college and kind of reminiscing on how good it really was. Sure it started out kind of rough, but know that I’ve been here I’m so glad that I made the decision to come to the Ohio University. At the beginning of the year you know I wasn’t too happy about being here. I was kind of sad. I had a few friends from my home that I missed. It was hard for me. Especially since before college I was never away from home for longer than a week and a half. Also I’ve never really been good at making new friends. I mean a lot changed from my senior year in high school, but after this year in college I feel like a whole new man. At the beginning of the year I didn’t leave my room too much, but when I did is when I really started to live my life. I did some fun things made a lot of good friends.
            I remember this one time when I wasn’t really feeling like going out, but I was convinced. While we were walking I saw these large nuts lying on the ground. I picked one up and just looked up. I see this pole that was in front of me. I started thinking you know I got pretty good aim, I want to see if I can hit this pole with the nut. I reached back and threw this nut as hard as I could. I didn’t have as good of aim as I thought I did because when I let go I saw, as it was not flying towards the pole. Actually it flew right towards some kid walking in the street. This nut absolutely railed him right in the back of the head. The kid turned around and looked for the person that had hit him in the head. I hid in the group of people that I was with, but my friends pointed me out and told him it was I. The kid looked over and I was like, man I’m real sorry my aim isn’t so good right now. He initially looked as if he wanted to fight, but after I apologized he cooled off a bit. I was like hey here’s a dollar. I honestly don’t know why I gave him a dollar, but he thought that I was really drunk because he was like hey how about two dollars. I said no man on dollar is enough and then he walked away.
            I’m not saying that what I did was always the right thing at the time, and I’ve done some questionable things at times. They may have been questionable, but that doesn’t mean that it was loads of fun! You know they say you only live once…. actually I hate the phrase Y.O.L.O. so I’ll stop right there. I remember going out on nights, making a ton of late night Good Fellas runs, going to Courtside on slice night, or even just hanging out with my friends in the dorm.
            I remember the first time that I went to Courtside on slice night it was really crowded. I went with a few of my friends. Between my friend and I we would constantly be counting the number of people we knew from outside of our dorm. I believe I won the competition. We also had a good time picking out the girls that we white girl wasted. I remember that night I even saw a girl from my high school dancing on top of a table. A lot of the basketball team and a few from the football team where there. They walked around like they owned the place, and a lot of the girls would be making their way to them to introduce themselves. I mean it’s understandable because well they are like the most famous people in this town.
            When Fest season came around I was really excited. I heard a lot of good things about these fests. When High Fest came around I went out and was ready to have fun, but as I went up and down High street I was generally disappointed. It was like most house parties, but there were more people. The thing these parties had in common with the usual house parties was that it was hard for a male to get into them, but I was told it was easier when it was earlier. I guess I should have gotten there earlier. When Palmer fest was in coming up I told myself that I would be ready and go early. I went with more friends so it was already more fun. I remember just chilling at houses, and seeing people that I haven’t talked to in a while. Then it was really great when everything started to get crazy when the house was on fire I had a house that I could seek shelter in. I was grateful to have my friend know the owner. I even had fun during the weekend at oak and mill fest even though I was hardly on the streets for long. I bought my ticket for 9fest and I was so pumped. It was great I got up close and got to see Chip the Ripper and even got to meet DJ Ev near the end of the performance.


            All in all I am glad that I could share these experience with the people that I believe to be my best friends. These are the memories that I will never forget for the rest of my life. I know that there are going to be even more great things that are in store for me here, and I hope to make more memories as my college life goes on. I learned to live my life in the moment and I honestly believe that it makes it so much more great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment